The people of McAllen, Texas are challenging expectations about what can be achieved by a majority-Latino community. This is our story.
The people of McAllen, Texas are challenging expectations about what can be achieved by a majority-Latino community. This is a project to share our story.
Another Side of Us is a movement to challenge misconceptions about life in Texas border cities with positive stories from people of all ethnicities, faiths, identities, and origins.
on international trade, retail & tourism
It’s a question people from Texas border communities hear when we mention our home to people who’ve never visited. Some fear our cities are the center of an immigration crisis, or worse, are hardy recognizable as American.
• If you’re from a community like ours, be heard.
We’ve quietly been a part of the American story for too long.
• If you’ve lived in or visited a community like ours, introduce us to friends. Your experiences matter.
• If you’re proud of your community, share stories and images that capture your heart.
• If you see or hear something false about our communities, challenge it with facts.
• If you’re inspired by our communities, create art that inspires others to think about another side of us.
• Be social. Share your thoughts with #anothersideofus
These are our stories.
Another Side of Us was created by PolluxCastor Creative, inspired by our community partners in McAllen, Texas and the Rio Grande Valley. It began as private collaborative project and is growing into a broader community-sourced movement.
It launched with Welcome, a short that challenges border city stereotypes against the backdrop of immigration policy coverage. It was written, produced, and funded by us as a passion project. The project became a success through collaboration with community members who shared our vision, which has opened the door to more creative works in the coming weeks.
We invite anyone who’d like to collaborate on the next steps of Another Side of Us to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.